Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

have replacedrod BEARINGS RINGS lifters R/arm..knurled PISTONS ENGINE

Customer Question

HAVE O3 DISCOVERY THAT HAS A TAP NOISE AFTER BRIEF WARM UP. HAVE REPLACED
ROD BEARINGS RINGS LIFTERS R/ARM ASSBY KNURLED PISTONS ENGINE HAS TAP NOISE.
NOW HAVE STRIPPED COMPLETELY CAN SEE NOTHING WRONG.
ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

PLEASE HELP XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 3 years ago.

My name is Dale.

I would be happy to try and help you. Please let me know a bit more about the history on the engine and how long ( how many miles) etc.. since the major repair. I have a pretty good idea of what is wrong but I also need you to identify which engine you have,

etc.

I will wait for your response.

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MILAGE IS 97,000 2003 4.6 CLEAN INSIDE

WORK WAS JUST DONE BUT STILL HAS NOISE NOW WE HAVE ENGINE OUT OF CAR AND STRIPPED DOWN

Thank you for the information.

I am not quite sure why you pulled the engine out without identifying where the noise was or is coming from. If you feel it coming from the top, the first thing I would be looking at is the rocker arm shafts. The EXTREME pressure pivot points in the valve train, etc. I mean you could have a camshaft that has a worn lobe and crating a problem but I do not understand why you pulled the engine out of the vehicle if you really feel the problem is on the top of the engine?

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

REPLACE ROCKER ARMS LIFTERS ROD BEARINGS ,RINGS IN CAR STILL SAME NOISE HAVE PULLED ENGINE TO SEE IF LINERS IN PLACE THEY ARE.

OK, I think I get it why you pulled the engine. Have you inspected the lobes on the camshaft? Could have a broken valve spring. Just thinking in my mind and writing it down for you. Do you know how much taper is in the cylinders. I know you knurled the pistons but a taper in a cylinder or a stuck wrist pin can cause a similar sound. Do you know if you removed the spark from one particular cylinder when the engine was running if the noise would go away or change? I would have liked to walk you through some tests before you pulled it down but it is to late now. So I guess you will have to inspect everything and check all measurements and then by process of elimination hopefully find out what was causing the noise.

Sincerely,

Dale