normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

vehicle hard to kick over

Customer Question

vehicle hard to kick over
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 6 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

Can you tell me what vehicle you have? Year, make, model, engine, transmission

JACUSTOMER-ha19httt- : 1999 nissan altima 2.4 litres engine automatic transmission
JACUSTOMER-ha19httt- : 4 cylinder engine
normanahoyt :

And what you mean by hard to kick over? Does it crank slow? Does it not fire at all? Do you eventually get it started?

JACUSTOMER-ha19httt- : hard to get engine started. When started shuts down
normanahoyt :

Starts and dies?

JACUSTOMER-ha19httt- : yes
normanahoyt :

Ok, what I need you to do is to remove the distributor cap and tell me if you find oil in under the cap

JACUSTOMER-ha19httt- : Yes
normanahoyt :

Ok, so you are getting oil in there and it is interfering with the crank sensor portion of the distributor. You may be able to clean it with a spray can of brake and electrical cleaner that is available at any autoparts store. It is possible that the distributor will require replacement. Try cleaning first and if you have compressed air blow it out after you spray it with electrical cleaner if you don't then somehow allow it to dry out before you put the cap back on and try it.

normanahoyt :

If it doesn't start and run you will need to get a new distributor and many of these come with a new cap and rotor.

JACUSTOMER-ha19httt- : Ok. Thanks
normanahoyt :

If it does work then I will still recommend a new cap and rotor as well as replacing the pcv valve and making sure it is getting vacuum as this is the reason for the oil in the distributor

normanahoyt :

Thank you for the question, let me know the results and please use the "accept" feature to complete the process.