normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience

reverse gear..move car at all if backing up hill.front

Customer Question

1996 jmc jimmy.the reverse gear is real slow.wont move car at all if backing up hill.front gears starting to shift a little slow. put some additive in trasmission a while back which helped some until now.
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 3 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

The typical scenario on this transmission starts with a slow engagement of reverse and progresses to slippage in all gears.

JACUSTOMER-bsobolkg- :

what should i do. have very little money

JACUSTOMER-bsobolkg- :

is it expensive to fix

normanahoyt :

If your problem is present only when cold and when it warms up it works strong then additives can help and maybe eliminate your proble. There is a Lucas additive call Trans fix, it is very thick so if you purchase it you will want to put the bottle in hot water for 10-15 minutes to get it thinned out a bit so you can put it in the transmission. If, however, it slips even warm you may only get limited success from the Lucas Trans fix. The only real solution is a complete rebuild which does run up over $1000. Used transmissions are a bit of a gamble as you could put it in...spend 500-900 and have similar symptoms.

normanahoyt :

No matter what I believe the Lucas Trans Fix is a good option at this time...you can get that at a NAPA store.

normanahoyt :

Thanks for the question.

JACUSTOMER-bsobolkg- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-bsobolkg- :

only question left- what causes the problem

normanahoyt :

There are multiple internal failures on these that cause similar symptoms but typically it is lip seals on the apply pistons for the different gears that leak pressure and don't apply the clutches firmly. The problem is that as this happens for a while then you also develop wear on the clutches. So...at the first stage an additive like Trans fix can make a significant difference by helping these lip seals and applying the clutches firmly. After the clutch wear is present it can only have limited improvement.

JACUSTOMER-bsobolkg- :

what would be a decent price for a mechanic to fix the problem

normanahoyt :

The price for a rebuild around here is $1200. Used transmissions are available for $300-$500 but it can take another similar amount to put it in and is not very logical at that point. The Lucas Trans fix is something you can do yourself but if you want a mechanic to do it then he would typically charge under $50

normanahoyt :

Thanks for the question. Please use the accept feature to finish the process