BigBob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

2008 Ford Mustang Gt: driverside..control arm (the shock..leaking oil

I have a 2008 Ford Mustang Gt. I have a leak coming from the driverside, there are two hoses that run into a box right behind the control arm (the shock that runs sideways). Looks like it is leaking oil or powersteering fluid from the outside hose? what is this going on?
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.

BigBob :

Greetings,

Customer:

Hi

BigBob :

Are you referring to the rack and pinion? Have you checked the power steering fluid level to see if it is low?

Customer:

No, not yet just discovered the leak tonight and I'm in amarillo tx we are sitting at -2 degrees right now. But my steering was making a squeeking noise, off and on in the past week. I bet it is the rack and pinion. Does it have two hoses going into it?

BigBob :

Yes it does, it looks like this

Customer:

ok, that looks familiar, so what is causing it to leak from the hose I tried pushing it up to make sure it was connected and it seemed to be because I couldn't budge it

Customer:

I guess I'm just asking to make sure my rack and pinion isn't bad and I just need to get a better hose or change out the power steering fluid?

BigBob :

It is probably the high pressure hose that is leaking. How many miles are on it?

Customer:

40k

BigBob :

Wow not many miles, but most likely a pressure hose. The hose runs about $60 but the labor is about $160, plus some fluid.

Customer:

does warranty cover that by chance, I do have extended on it

BigBob :

Yes it usually does.

Customer:

ok well thank you for your time.

BigBob :

No problem let me know if I can help further

BigBob :

Bob