Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

Ivan,The fuse near drivers side 5c was no good. I good.

Customer Question

Hello Ivan,The fuse near drivers side 5c was no good. I good. The next project i am working on is the radiator. Since changing the water pump...i think i have some air in the radiator line. I was unable to locate the radiators drain plug. Looked all below. Even removed panel under engine/radiator. I purged radiator / burped. Still feels funny. What do u suggest?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Ivan :

Hello again, Air can be a real challenge, Elevate the nose of the car so the radiator cap is at the highest point. Let it run, and try squeezing the upper radiator hose, keep the radiator cap off. Let it run until you get heat or the cooling fan comes on. At that point, the bulk of the air should be out. Just get that radiator cap location higher than the rest of the engine, that will help the air travel upward.

Ivan :

Ivan :

I just clecked, look for a bleeder on the rear thermostat housing. I'm going to post the official procedure, See if that helps

Ivan :

1. Completely drain the system by opening the drain cock at the bottom of the radiator. If the coolant is dirty, or if there are deposits in the radiator, flush the cooling system before refilling.

2. Remove the cooling system pressure cap. Clean, test and inspect the radiator/cooling system filler neck.

3. Disconnect all hoses from the coolant reservoir. Remove the reservoir and pour out any fluid. Scrub and clean the inside of the reservoir with soap and water. Flush it well with clean water then drain it. Install the reservoir and hoses.

4. Close the radiator drain cock (and install the block drain plugs if removed).

5. Refill the cooling system with a coolant meeting GM Specification 6277M. To ensure sufficient engine cooling, freezing and corrosion protection, maintain the protection level at -37°C (-34°F) or lower. Use a solution that is no more than 70 percent antifreeze.

6. Place the heater-A/C control in any A/C mode except "MAX" and the temperature in the highest setting.

7. Allow the engine to continue idling until the lower radiator to coolant pump hose is hot.

8. Cycle the engine speed up to about 3000 rpm and back to idle five times. Slowly open bleed valve on the rear of the thermostat housing for approximately 15 seconds to expel any trapped air In the cooling system.

9. After the air has been expelled, fill the radiator. Install the radiator pressure cap, making sure the arrows on the cap line up with the coolant recovery tube.

10. Allow engine to cool to outside temperature, then check the coolant level in the reservoir. If not at the "ADD" (of "FULL COLD") mark, add coolant until it is.