normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience

1998 amigo: v6..code reader for the check engine light..cylinder

I have a 1998 amigo with the 3.2 v6 and I put it on a code reader for the check engine light and it is throwing faults for:
1. cylinder 4 misfire
2. mass airflow sensor
3. o2 sensor
I changed the plug in cylinder 4 and there was no change... so i swapped the coils from cylinders 4 & 5 and then the cylinder misfire fault moved to cylinder #2... weird huh? it also had the other 2 faults with it. can you help me?
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 3 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

So you have a P0304, and an MAF code as well as an O2 code?

Customer:

yes

normanahoyt :

The MAF code is a p0101?

Customer:

yes

normanahoyt :

Which O2 sensor code do you have?

Customer:

i cant remember the code exactly... my mechanic tested the truck

normanahoyt :

Ok, and you say that you swapped the coil from the number 4 cylinder with the one from the #5 cylinder?

Customer:

he said that the o2 sensor code was probably caused by one of the other 2 that accompanied it

Customer:

yes we did and the misfire code went to the other bank in the #2 cylinder

normanahoyt :

Ok...let me look at something

normanahoyt :

How are the cylinders arranged on your vehicle?...which ones are on the driver's side and which on the passenger's side?

Customer:

driver's side has 4,5,and 6 and passanger side has 1-3

normanahoyt :

That was what I thought you would say...now can you tell me how you know that?

Customer:

my mechanic found a diagram of the cylinder off of the internet

normanahoyt :

Ok, now which two coils did you swap? ...tell me where they are located?

Customer:

drivers side 1st one from the front of the motor and the next one back

normanahoyt :

That's what I thought you would say as well. You actually swapped 2 and 4.

Customer:

so the diagram was wrong?

normanahoyt :

The solution to your problem is to buy an ignition coil...my feeling is that your other codes are caused by the misfire but I can't say for sure.

Customer:

okay so you are saying that the cylinders are arranged from the front of the engine to the back...driver's side is 2,4,6 and pass side are 1,3,5?

normanahoyt :

The diagram was either wrong or incorrectly sourced. Isuzu's 3.2 uses odds and evens. The passenger side is 1/3/5 and the driver's side is 2/4/6

Customer:

okay I'll give it a shot thank you for your help

normanahoyt :

Thanks for the question.

normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Over 25 years of automotive experience