normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

1999 Mercedes Benz: gasoline..fan clutch which is defective.

I have a 1999 Mercedes Benz E-320 gasoline engine. I have a fan clutch which is defective. I can hold the blade and move the fan back and forth at least 2 inches. I need to know if I am correct or could it possibly be the water pump. The motion seems to be coming from the fan clutch. Am I correct in this assumtion and if so can you give me a time for that service. I asked anopther tech yesterday and two times today with no response. I would appreciate the answer if you are able to give it. If not please let me know so I can proceed elsewhere. Thanks Mike.
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 5 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

If you are moving the fan that far, just look down in at the pulley. If the pulley is moving with the fan then your water pump is bad. If the pulley is not moving then the clutch is your problem.

normanahoyt :

The fan clutch is a simple replacement. It calls for 1/2 and hour to do the job.

normanahoyt :

Thanks for the question, let me know if I can help you further