Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2000 hyundai sonata: car wont..Its shifting ok..overdrive..neutral

i have a 2000 hyandai sonata, im not a car expert but i get the oil changed at valvoline every 3000 miles. Today driving up a hill it sounded like it over-revved and now my rpm wont go over 3000, and the car wont go over 60mph. Its shifting ok once its at speed to shift (automatic) but the overdrive (i think is what its called) doesnt kick in, it feels like its in neutral, its not revving high it just acts like im dont have my foot on the gas and i feel the car slowing.
Ok most common is a faulty solenoid pack in the transmission under the pan . Alot of times these fail and even the harness gets damaged. These need to be checked and is most likely the issue. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it safe to keep driving it? at least to my dealer? and the whole transmission should still be ok?
Yes it's ok to drive . The transmission is fine just the solenoid pack or wire harness needs to be fixed. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.