Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Isuzu Rodeo: 4WD V6 3.2L..rev..mph..I put a new iac, tps, Fuel filter

Customer Question

i have a 95' Isuzu Rodeo 4WD V6 3.2L SOHC. My truck has a fluctuating idle, it will only drive about 5 blocks then shuts off, it makes a popping sound if you rev the throttle while in park, the mph builds fine if the car is completely cold but builds very slow the warmer the car gets. I put a new IAC, TPS, Fuel filter, and Ignition module on it and its still doing the same thing, does anybody know what it could be? also, when they ran the diagnostic at the garage my receipt says 02 code (13) what does that code deal with?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

With the problems you have described here including the oxygen sensor code that is set it may be possible that your catalytic converter could be restricted.This will cause idle fluctuations,slow build up of throttle,popping out of the intake and the oxygen sensor code to set.Also will cause a lack of power,takes the vehicle a long time to build up speed or may be limited in speed.

I would have a back pressure test done on the exhaust system to see if the back pressure is to high.This can be done by just about any shop including exhaust shops.The back pressure shouldn't exceed 1.5 p.s.i. through all engine r.p.m.'s.

If it does then most likely the catalytic converter is restricted and needs replaced.

If the back pressure is o.k. then I would have fuel pressure and the oxygen sensor operation tested to make sure both are o.k.

If you have a fuel pressure issue it can cause these problems or if the oxygen sensor is registering incorrectly it can cause these issues here as well.

If these are o.k. then more testing would be needed to isolate the cause of this problem then it can be repaired from there.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Edited by Pete on 2/2/2011 at 3:27 PM EST