Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

1995 Isuzu Trooper: it starts and Idles..hesitate..few feet..park

I have a 1995 Isuzu Trooper, it starts and Idles almost perfect. but out in the snow yesterday it started to hesitate and then now I can only go a few feet without it dying. I can place it in park and it will idle. but as soon as I put a load on the engine (just put it in drive) it will go about 20-30 feet and then die. Starts right back again but won't go very far once in drive again. Some strange sounds in the engine bay as well like it was backfiring. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Most common are faulty intake gaskets or a faulty throttle body were these checked ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no havent checked anything yet just looking for a starting point. I have been told it might be the fuel filter. It has been sitting for about 3 years and has been driving fine, to the shop to have all the fluids changed. It did great out in the snow yesterday pulling people out and then it started to get really bad at dying. Before drove it after sitting so long, I did drain the old gas and put new in and added heet treatment to the tank. Thats all so far.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok try changing the fuel filter next . If there is still an issue it can be as simple as a bad ignition wire or even faulty alternaotrn. I would check these along with the charging system next to see if it's an alternator issue. These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.