Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1998trooper4wd does not engage light keeps flashing

Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

It sounds like you could several things going on here causing your problem. We will need to do some testing to figure out what is going on. Check for broken vacuum lines in the TOD system. Inspect the vacuum hoses at the front actuator. Check for vacuum to the Front Axle Vacuum Solenoids. Check for battery voltage to the Front Axle Vacuum Solenoids on the Blue/Yellow wire in 2WD and no voltage (near 0 volts) in TOD 4WD. Check the Front Axle Switch for 12 volts in 2WD and no voltage (near 0 volts) in TOD 4WD when the front axle is engaged.

Also, you can pull codes to see what is going on. To retrieve codes, ground terminal 8, White wire at the data link connector and turn the key on.

Potential Causes:
Front Axle Diaphragm
Front Axle Vacuum Solenoid — One or more may have a problem.
Vacuum Lines — Cracked/broken vacuum lines.
Axle Actuator Vacuum
Front Axle Actuator