Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  VW, BMW & GM Holden factory trained, Diploma in IT
46976539

my 2002 lanos

Customer Question

my 2002 lanos has just started to take afew extra turns to start it has only just done this
in last few days i have had some body give it the once over and cant seem to find the problem it runs like a dream??????
Category: Car
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
How long more does it take to fire up? Does it do it on the first turn of the key?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no originally it would fire up 2/3 turns of the starter moter now it takes 8/10 turns it seems it my be fuel not getting there quick enough but it was pressure tested and seems ok
this problem only started 2 days ago car runs smoothly when started very strange??
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
Ok try this the next time you start your car up from cold. Cycle the ignition on and off 4 or 5 times with the key (without cranking the engine). Make sure your dash lights come on and off with each turn of the key, then try to start the car and see if it will start straight away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is certainly a marked improvement not quite perfect i think we might be close to the problem
thanks ray
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
What you have here is a loss of residual fuel pressure. When the key is turned in the ignition this helps by powering up the fuel pump to prime the fuel system. Check around your fuel lines and fuel filter to make sure you haven't got a fuel leak. You may also have leaking injectors, faulty fuel pressure regulator or leaking fuel pump check valve.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i had a mechanic looh at it 2 days ago he probably did not check all the things you said
but he did say that he did apressure test on the fuel lines and it held pressure could some of those problems still exist while pressur testing
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
There are a couple of different tests you can do. Checking for fuel pressure while the pump is running is the most common test, although for residual fuel pressure this will have to be carried out with the pump shut off. Residual pressure should not drop to less than 1 bar (100 kpa) )after 20 - 30 mins. If you can see the needle on the fuel pressure gauge drop noticeably or if it is loosing too much pressure then you will have to clamp off lines to determine the source of fuel pressure loss.
Clement, Diagnostic Technician
Experience: VW, BMW & GM Holden factory trained, Diploma in IT
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just as alast minute question the fuel line does not seem to loose pressure but the fault is definely fuel what would be your best guess also who would service daewos in brisbane
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
Did you carry out further tests? You would have to go to a Holden dealer as they have taken over daewoo. However any good workshop should be able to diagnose the fault for you as the lanos is a fairly basic vehicle. I am based in melbourne but if you are looking for a holden dealer around you there is always google! :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could you please advise which test to do first

regards ray curran
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ray, get your mechanic to first inspect for signs of external leakage, especially around the fuel filter. Then hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check for residual pressure with the engine turned off. The pressure in the fuel system should not drop under 1 bar (100kpa) after 30 mins. If it drops noticeably then you can start to eliminate the fuel pump check valve by clamping the supply line, and the regulator, injectors by clamping the return line.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all fuel options have been done and it seems it is not a fuel pumping problems what is to be tried next is that it seems a sensor or cpu is not telling the car it is cold so not pumping any fuel for colder starts this is going to be checked by an auto electrician can you add any guidance on this ????? help
Expert:  Clement replied 3 years ago.
Yup, if you are sure that the fuel side of it is ok, then get your mechanic to check the ECT sensor (engine coolant temp) with a suitable scan tool. Looking at the live data readings, check the ECT values to make sure they are reading correctly according to the ambient temperature (on cold start). A faulty ECT sensor can have cold start/running issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for all your help the problem has been rectified although in the morning will be the test but i am 99.99% sure it is fixed it was the battery that was at fault it seem to be
loosing some of its charge overnight which fsulted the ecu to think it did not need extra fuel
to start from cold all they did was put anew battery in and rest the ecu and it seems all
fine i dont think any one could have picked that straight away or maybe the should have plugged into the ecu from the begining but thanks once again and i would be intersted
in your reply comments???