Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

85 lincoln town car: replacing..the new bolt..inside door..door handle

while replacing a door striker bolt on my 85 lincoln town car, i put on the new bolt, closed the door, and now the door will not open, using the outside or inside door handle. my door is stuck closed. what can i do to open this door. what should i have done that in installing this new bolt
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Kalamykid :

The door striker pin is either to high or to low. Get into the drivers seat, pull the door handel as if to open the door, and with your shoulder hit the door with your shoulder and it should come open.

Kalamykid :

The nake sure the pin is in the center of the latch befor trying to close the door again.

JACUSTOMER-2ffx4e2j- :

I TRIED TO INSTALL THE FIRST OF FOUR PINS IN THE REAR DRIVER DOOR, WHEN THIS HAPPENED. THE OLD PIN HAD WORN AWAY THE PLASTIC GROMMET WHICH IS WHY I WAS CHANGING THEM OUT. THE PIN MOVES UP AND DOWN ABOUT ONE INCH IN A SLOTTED OPENING.THE OLD PIN WAS NEAR THE TOP OF THE SLOTTED OPENING SO WHEN I REPLACED IT WITH THE NEW PIN I PUT IT IN THE SAME PLACE. ALSO, THE OLD PIN HAD TWO ADDITIONAL THIN WASHERS PRESENT, SO I PUT THESE BEHIND THE NEW THICKER WASHER BEFORE INSTALLING. I WILL TRY WHAT YOU SUGGEST BUT DO YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL ADVISE?

Kalamykid :

You have to get the door open first. If yu added washers behind the pin then you need to remove them so there s the same amount on the new one as the old one.

Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q