CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.

cam belt snapped while starting will it of done much damage

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
On any diesel, I can guarantee that it has bent a few valves. The cylinder head is going to need to be removed, and cylinder head rebuilt. Make sure the shop doing this work is very well versed in diesel repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

will it be alot of money to fix?

Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
Depending on the hourly rate of the shop doing the work, it could be. I would expect at least 12-1400 pounds, depending on how much damage was done to the valves. Considering is was during startup, so that the engine was only turning over at 250-300 rpm, the damage could possibly be somewhat minimal, with pistons only contacting 3-4 intake valves.