jeepmopar76, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  32 yrs ASE Master tech, 9 yrs Chrysler Master Tech, 19 yrs w Jeep + AMC, & 13 yrs w Dodge, Chrysler

shops..mechanic writes no reference crank signal at SBEC

Customer Question

I appreciate your continued concern.

I put the car in several dealer shops and had trouble finding one that still had the equipment to check for error codes.

Just picked the auto up from Whitten Bros and the mechanic writes "no reference crank signal at SBEC"

Where do I find the signal source to correct?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had hoped JustAnswer would keep a data base of a person's questions so you could look at past correspondence.

Regardless, to your questions. Chrysler/Maserati Turbo Coupe (TC) '91, 50m miles. Chrysler V6 3.0L

My previous attempts with JustAnswer have come up with:
1. "corrosion at the fuel pump electric connection"
2. Bad SBEC (New ones no longer available)
3. Dealer response "DRB test - no reference crank signal at SBEC

4. I submitted a new question to JustAnswer, which was obviously forwarded to you.

To repeat previous information, the TC runs fine the suddenly acts as though I turned the key off, except the lights, horn, and everything else is on. I pull over to the shoulder and wait 15 minutes and the car starts again. Runs about 5 miles and shuts down again. It does not sputter or jerk as though there is fuel starvation.
I do not want to just start replacing parts until I find the culprit
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info!

I am going to leave this question open.

Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your question.

Replace the crank sensor. " no crank signal reference" means the PCM does not see a crank signal.. Chrysler's are know for bad crank sensors, and this would be the first thing I would do.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Replacing the crank sensor is obvious.

You don't have to yell. You asked where the signal source was, like you were going to trace wires.

The crank sensor is bolted to the transmission bellhousing near the motor. As far as what it looks like; buy a new one, then you will have it in your hand to compare to other sensors. ( there should be only one in the tranny bellhousing) .