Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2003 Suzuki XL-7: SUV. Being in Southeast MI. im not too happy.

My daughters thinking about a 2003 Suzuki XL-7 for a SUV. Being in Southeast MI. i'm not too happy. Anyway, other than Edmunds, i've heard very little about a XL-7. I already know parts are going to be hard to get, but servicability is key. Engine, trans. electronics. I guess the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the XL-7 a good asian truck or is it a Yugo. Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
The powertrain is almost all Aisin so it is pretty good, but the electronics leave a little bit to be desired. Some check engine light concerns and AC problems seem to pop up. There are not a whole lot out there so a real pattern is tough to develop. If it's a screaming deal I might go for it, but if it is a retail piece I'd say shop around some more.