RD
RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master 35 years
3087803

Suzuki Vitara: driving my..new engine..1st gear and i..engine seals

I was driving my Suzuki Vitara 1999 (new engine 2 years old) on a hot day and the gear box seized up to move into 1st gear and i could only take off in 2rd then it proceed to not want to go in 3-4 without pressure applied. Very frightening when caught in major traffic. I noticed oil leaking months ago and took it to the mechanic and he said it was something to do with the engine seals and fixed it! $600 later. Could it been the gearbox leaking oil now caused the Gbox not to work effectively? I will take it to the mechanic tomorrow but as i am ignorant about car engines etc. i want to be more informed without being taken for a ride.
What cases the gear box to size with no real warning?

Thanks for your help.
lou
Category: Car
Expert:  RD replied 3 years ago.

Hello LOU

Welcome to JA!

Yes it sounds like you had a gear box leak and run low on fluid .

I would have the mechanic pull the drain plug on the transmission and see how much is left in the transmission.

If it is low or no fluid left then we found your leak.

The transmission fluid should be checked every oil change,

If your paying a mechanic to do your oil change ,,, There not doing a very good job,

I looked up parts for your transmission

The rebuild kit will run about $1,200.00

A used transmission with a warranty will run about $600.00.

Labor to pull and install the transmission is 4.5 hours

Labor to rebuild the transmission is 6.4 hours

Let me know if i can help more!

RD

RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ase Master 35 years