normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

Mitsubishi Montero Limited: serviced..timing belt..spark plugs..seal

Had a Mitsubishi Montero Limited serviced by a dealer for $2200.00 for timing belt, valve guides, spark plugs, cyclinder head seal, and a few other non-engine items. Less than 3 weeks and less than 2000mi. after the repairs the engine suddenly lost all the oil, and now makes a loud upper engine knock, which it didn't have before. Had car towed back to the dealer who decided that the oil filter was incorrectly installed 3000 miles ago by an oil change place, and that the gasket had come out of the seat which caused the oil loss, since they did not change the oil or filter they are not responsible. Had the oil (which tested out fine) and the filter examined by the manufacturer, Purolator, who determined that the oil filter was damaged by abnormally high oil pressure, and you can see that the filter casing is deformed as compared to a new one, hence the gasket came unseated. " The filter was not defective but in service on a engine that malfunctioned." quote from Purolator. Researching the causes of high oil pressure, the only cause that I have found that makes any sense is that there is something blocking an oil gallery which would an increase the back pressure. I have found several articles which state that this is the most likely cause. Had the car towed to a second dealer , who thought that the noise maybe coming from only one cylinder,and the valve guide is now somewhere else in the engine, but it would be $1100.00 to take the engine apart to make sure which I declined. Also stated that the enginne is now toast. My question is this: Is the most likely cause of the problem something that the dealer did, ie. piece of gasket material, a valve guide, or some other part now lodged somewhere in the engine, or just bad luck. Frankly after 40 years of car ownership, and having changed engines myself in the past I have never encountered high oil pressure, and a few mechanics that I have dicussed the situation with have never encountered high oil pressure either. Tom
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 3 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

Here is my concern: If you remove the cylinder heads to do valve guides and head gaskets, how do you not change the oil? I myself have never found a way to do that intrusive of a job and not change the engine oil.

normanahoyt :

Here is what can cause your high pressure situation:

normanahoyt :

Any form of debris that enters the oil pressure relief of the oil pump will cause it to stick and cause a bloated oil filter. Years back we had a machine shop in the area that did bead blasting on our cylinder heads. We went through several episodes of bloated oil filters and having to pull the oil pump apart and clean out the pressure relief valves before we finally determined that their bead blasting and perhaps their poor cleaning was the reason for our problem. I haven't seen that problem for many years.

normanahoyt :

In escense you already have plenty of evidence to go to small claims court with and I am quite certain that they will settle with you either before you get started or through insurance in court.

normanahoyt :

From your description, assuming you are accurate, there is no doubt that the work was not done correctly. The simple fact of not changing the oil is inexcusable.

normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Over 25 years of automotive experience