Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1999 Cavalier: speed manual..slave cylinder..acts..enough to engage

1999 Cavalier 2.4 engine 5 speed manual just had different engine put in at the same time had the slave cylinder replaced been driving it for about 2 weeks and suddenly it is very hard to get into gear sometimes the clutch acts as though it is memory foam. when clutch is released it comes out enough to engage in gear but the rest of the was is sometimes very slow.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

are you saying the clutch has a spungy feel?

if you push the pedal 2 or 3 times..does it work better?

please tell me all you can

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Seems to feel alright pushing clutch in its watching the clutch pedal release that it is slow it doesn't seem to make a difference if you clutch 2 or 3 times it seems as though i need more clutch like the pedal is darn near going through the floor . there is no rhym or reason when this happens . usually the first couple of gears are okay

this sounds as if you still need to bleed the hydrolic seems to still have air in it

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding

Notice: Do not reuse the fluid that has been bled from a system in order to fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir for the following reasons:

1. The fluid may be aerated
  2. The fluid may be contaminated
  3. The fluid may contain too much moisture Important: Maintain the fluid level in the clutch reservoir to the top step with GM P/N 12345347, or equivalent.
  1. Clean dirt and grease from the cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.
  2. Attach a hose to the bleeder screw on the clutch actuator assembly. Submerge the other end of the hose in a container of Hydraulic Clutch Fluid GM P/N 12345347, or equivalent.
  3. Depress the clutch pedal slowly and hold.
  4. Loosen the bleeder screw to purge air.
    • Tighten the bleeder screw to 2 Nm (18 inch lbs.) .
  1. Repeat steps 3 through 5 until air is purged.
  2. Fill reservoir to the top step with GM P/N 12345347, or equivalent.
  3. Repeat the bleeding procedure if necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks we will certainly give this a try as soon as it warms up alittle only -40 wind chill right now

thanks again