Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience:  Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering
17982882

2000 discovery that is stuck in 3rd gear. Not slipping or any noises.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 discovery that is stuck in 3rd gear. Not slipping or any noises. What can I do to self check this issue. I did run a scan and it came up with one code I think it said P600?? Anyway it did state com issue...I am a marine and aircraft mechanic...So I am no novice to mechanical issues...Scott
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic Martyn replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.
Does it still have reverse?
Is the check engine light up on the dash?

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes reverse is fine and no icons or check lights are lit up on the dash. Bt the way it drives fine at hwy speeds and around town it just acts like you are starting off in a high gear obviously lacking acceleration from the start. No noises or vibrations.I am not driving it as I just purchased this like it is...All appears normal...I am going to drop the trans pan and inspect the valve body and change the oil - filter just for th hell of it..Scott
Hello again.
Well its always a good idea to do a service on the tranny after you have bought a new car.
Its likely to be the connection to the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the tranny is in "limp home" mode because it cant tell what position the Throttle is in. The tps wears somewhat and the connectors that plug in to it get corroded. Disconnect the plug to the tps and clean the connectors. I use a good quality contact cleaner spray. The TPS talks to the ECU and the ECU commands the transmission.
If the tranny was having problems reverse is usually the first to go.

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am familiar with the TPS as I had one go on my diesel truck...I will give it a try and see if your correct. I should have time tomorow and if so .I will let you know tomorrow...Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By the way if it was the TPS wether it was deffective,broken or bad conection I would think it would throw up a code. Wouldn't you? ..Scott

Hello Scott - the weird thing about TPS is they don't always throw up a code.

I would check the harness for loose wires too.

Regards

Mechanic Martyn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, what you suggested did nothing..See if you can help me on what I have found out..Ran scan code P0600 comes up. I cleared it and it comes back. The code is --Serial link malfunction!! This comunicates with the transmission...So where do I look? How do I fix ? I researched this and have not really gotten anywhere. dealers will not help..Everything is top secret..(BS!!) .If you are not familiar with the rover I would like you to be honest and simply state I do not know..I need some one familar with this issue so I can resolve this problem..If you can help GREAT!!..Scott
Scott I spent a dozen years working Land rover and I have owned several.
What I suggested was easy to check and the most likely cause.
There may be faults in the loom from the ecu to the gearbox.
I have opted out to give other techs the chance to answer.

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you think there is connection issues from the ecu to the trans possibly in the harness?? Is it possible the ecu is an issue??
Scott the code doesn't rule it out but it is low on the list of probabilities.

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience: Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Martyn, I do appreciate the help as I have checked connections under the hood before using the site. I did not know if there were common componet failures with this vehicle as I have not owned one before. I was hoping you could steer me to exact places to check as to find the issue myself. As you well know some vehicles have a history and common problems...Scott - If anyone has a solid lead I would like to hear it...Scott --XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Scott I will keep on checking for you and if I run across anything I will let you know.
Regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks...Scott
No problem

regards
Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Martin, I hate to bitch but I always voice my opinion... I had asked a few questions about this rover and really did not get anywhere. The local snobs at the Rover dealer act's like evrything is top secret. You can call any other dealer and usually service will be quite helpful. Anyway I thought asking an "expert "would help..You sugusted the TPS . Well if that were an issue the engine would not run as well as it does and I have transmission issues..I enjoy the challenge and have ALWAYS repaired everything that has ever broken. Sometimes it taks a little longer than I would like but it Does get fixed. I am a experimental aircraft and marine mechanic as well as an electrical tech..Sooo I looked in to this further..If you knew the vehicle I was talking about the simple thing would be so say that the trans is electronically controled and the control box is under the drivers seat..Well I replaced this component and bingo!! 3000 + miles now since repair and it runs and shifts like new!!!!....Scott
Scott thats great!
I am glad it's fixed. I am sorry I didn't finger that immediately for you, I thought you realized it is an electronically controlled trans. I always like to look at the simple options first to eliminate those ( and the less costly ones.)
regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did know it was electronically controlled and knowing that I did not know where the module was and had no service manual to refer to..Yes I am glad it is fixed..Very simple and inexpensive componet...Scott
Thats great Scott.

regards
Mechanic Martyn