Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1998 Isuzu Rodeo: timing untill mark on gears spring

1998 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 DOHC. I Don`t know how to line up the timing marks on the cams. The manual says to turn cam untill mark on gears spring into place but these gears have three marks. It has one line and a notch on either side. Witch marks do I use. Do you have a clear diagram?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Here is a picture of the timing belt marks for your engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This looks likea diagram for a four cylinder. Mine is a 98 Isuzu Rodeo, 3.2 V6 24 valve.

The manual says to turn the camshaft untill it springs into place and the timing marks line up, but these cams spring into place about every 1/3 of a turn and the spockets have three different marks.

Sorry about that.

Here is what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I should use the mark that that looks like a small line with color over it and not the notches on either side of this mark.

If I understand you correctly... the answer is YES

Also, once you line things up, you can double check yourself, by doing a cylinder leak down test on number one cylinder or on any of the other cylinders when bringing the piston to TDC.

In addition, of course you can turn the motor over slowly by hand after installing the timing belt to see if it turns over nice and smooth (of course you will feel the compression strokes)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. I`ll follow this diagram and get back to you with the results.

SOunds good!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I couldn't get back yesterday. Sorry. Looks like this is the wrong diagram again. This is a diagram for a SOHC and I need a diagram for a Dual Overhead Cam. Also need to make sure cams are in the correct faze.

THis is the diagram of the dual overhead cam. It only uses one sprocket on each side driven by the timing belt to drive both cams on each side.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Picture didn`t come up.

Try this...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Now the manual says to turn the cam pulleys until they sping into place to synchronize the cam shafts that this could take up to nine turns but these cams spring into place every half turn. Do you know anything about this or do I just line up the marks.
Just line up the marks and you will be good to go!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I`ll go do that right now. The reason I`m doing all this is because it has very low compression on all six cylinders and I was hoping for a jumped belt. It only has 55 LB. on the highest.
Well, I think you are headed in the right direction.

Start by checking or lining up the timing marks and go from there.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After triple checking everything I still have very low compression on two cylinders and coolant leaking into number three so I think I`ll just try to find a used engine. Thanks for your help.
You bet!

Best of luck!