Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

KIA Sorento: I would like to buy a 2008/9 hybrid..hatchback..SUV.

I would like to buy a 2008/9 hybrid and would like to know what make is the most highly recommended. I want a 4 door hatchback or small SUV. The KIA Sorento appeals to me in appearance and price but I know nothing about them. Which make and model would you recommend.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
Look at the Ford Escape Hybrid. It has been fairly reliable for a hybrid and they are starting to become available on the used market. But with any hybrid thouroughly evaluate the cost vs benefits and fuel savings. Figure the actual fuel mileage will be about 10% less than claimed and the increased cost and maintenance of a hybrid may not be offset by the savings. Also it is difficult to get work done by anyone other than a dealer on hybrids and some dealers lack hybrid qualified techs also.