normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience

99 ALERO: FUEL PUMP..THE DRIVER SIDE FUSE PANEL GOT WET FROM RAIN

Customer Question

99 ALERO 2.4 STARTS JUST FOR A SECOND THEN STOPS, HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER MONTHS AGO. THE DRIVER SIDE FUSE PANEL GOT WET FROM RAIN, CHECKED ALL THE FUSES ON ALL THREE PANELS.
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 3 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. What you are dealing with is most likely a security issue. Does the security light flash?

Customer :

no

normanahoyt :

These utilize a pass lock system for antitheft. This system when it does not get the right info. from the ignition switch will cause exactly the symptoms that you have. Unfortunately there is not just one source of failure for the pass lock system. I have probably replaced more ignition switches than anything else, however, I have also had to repair a fuse panel problem that caused the same symptoms. The particular fuse panel that got wet is the one that had issues with connections on the back side causing these symptoms. I will get some more specifics to help you test what you need to test.

Customer :

thank you

normanahoyt :

You said that the security light does not flash....does it stay on solid?

Customer :

no

normanahoyt :

Do you have a light in the dash that says "security" or "theft" or "antitheft"...actually I think it should just be a little light that has a key shape in it

Customer :

security , it comes on with all the other indicating lights and then goes out.

normanahoyt :

Ok, thanks

Customer :

the fuel quantity is not reading right , and the XXXXX XXXXXght for low fuel goes out.

normanahoyt :

That is an interesting symptom as instrument clusters also cause a start stall. It may be necessary to have the capability of pulling codes from the PCM and the BCM to get closer to the exact source of the failure...let me look a little further before I give you a course of action.

Customer :

ok, thanks

normanahoyt :

Let's talk about your water on the fuse panel incident. Did you have none of these problems prior to the water incident? How soon did these problems show up after that incident?

Customer :

Central Florida hard rain late afternoon, 1:30 or 2:00, at 4:20 it would not start.

normanahoyt :

Thanks, let's do this: Remove the trunk fuse in that left side of dash fuse panel and see if you fuel gauge comes back and you can start the car

Customer :

ok

normanahoyt :

That is fuse "D" third one down on the right

Customer :

removed 10 amp fuse from trunk release and fuel quantity worked and car started.

normanahoyt :

Your problem is in the fuse panel. These fuse panels are made up of layers inside and you have water between the layers causing a short to the data line which is the communications network for all of the different informations that the cluster needs such as fuel level and security. You may be able to remove the fuse panel and dry it out before it starts corroding in there. If you have compressed air that would be the way to do it. If corrosion sets in then you are stuck with replacing the fuse panel. All we did by removing the fuse was to remove one connection to the data bus line and at this time that removed the short to the data line but eventually other shorts will occur with the onset of corrosion. The key to identifying this as the culprit was both the fact that it got rained on and the fact that your security system was recognizing the lock cylinder and authorizing the vehicle to start as identified by the light going out.

normanahoyt :

Meantime you have lost your trunk release and your radio amplifier but have gained a car that starts and runs for now and most of all you have concluded the diagnostic process and now know the course of action needed to complete the repairs.

normanahoyt :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer :

Thank you, I will clean out the panel.

normanahoyt :

Your welcome, is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer :

no

normanahoyt :

Ok, thanks, bye

normanahoyt :

Please accept my answer, thanks

normanahoyt :

Hello, I was wondering how it went. Did you get your fuse panel completely dried out? Any more problems?

normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Over 25 years of automotive experience
Thank you