Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1990 civic: petrol..fuse under..under dash..blown

Customer Question

have a 1990 civic,gl auto,petrol,carby no spark..tried for two days and suddenly started
the only thing i did was remove fuse under dash marked engine control fuse not blown and replaced it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok has the main relay been checked ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
please be advised that previous answewrs appear to relate to a different vehicle
mine is a carby type not fuel injected so no computer.
where is the main relay situted. told that it was under dash left hand side.checked right hand side(AUSTRALIA ) could not see it.why would the relay stopp and restart again
please send reply XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
please send reply XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
perhaps if you send me an email to my address as to the best time(your time) so that i canbe at my pc at that time bearing in mind the time zones
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok there if there is no spark then the issue is the igniter. Also when was the last tune up done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do you call the ignitor. is it the electronic part inside dissy conneted to the coil
dont know when it had a last tune only brought it 2/1/11 i know it is out of tune or the choke not operating as it blows black fumes sometimes. i have not had the problem
again as it startes first time every day since. i dont think you can help me much as i exspected that you would send a list of things that might be wrong but this is getting
a bit long in the tooth now and not getting anywhere....i dont see what a tune up would affect the problem of no spark. although i am not a qualified mechanic i know what makes an engine tick and how it all works...built my first cat A model ford back in 1957 from boxes.. so it seems a wast of time doing this. thanks all the same
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
If there is a problem with the distributor rotor it will cause this no spark issue . I've been working on Honda 20 years and know what causes these failures. It's either a faulty distributor rotor , coil and igniter in the distributor or distributor base itself. This link will show you how to test these to see if these are the problems.
LickHere
These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician