Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL

1999 Infinity QX4: it wont start..wouldnt start..spark

I have a 1999 Infinity QX4 and it won't start. It took me to work and then it wouldn't start after work. I checked the spark and it's okay. I sprayed starting fluid into the intake, pressed the pedal to the floor and turned it over...it didn't even try to start. (It's been awhile but I'm assuming that even if its fuel injected, this test should at least get it to sputter or something) yea or nay?

it has 250 thousand miles and the timing belt was replaced 125k ago. I'm leaning toward a jumped or broken timing belt. It turns over fine and evenly but just won't start.

Heres the second part of my question. I've heard that if the timing belt breaks and you continue to turn some cars over you can bend a valve. IS THIS POSSIBLE ON THIS EXACT MODEL? or is there enough clearance in the head that I dont have to worry about it. if it's a possibility, I will do a compression check to rule it out before I take it to them

I dont want to do a compression check for no reason and I don't want to take it to the shop if it has a bent valve because the cost would be too much. If its a timing belt then I will have them fix it.
Also, anything else I should try to isolate the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you sprayed starting fluid into it and it would even try to start and you have spark, then it is almost certain the timing belt has jumped, especially if the belkt has been on for 125k miles, these motors are NOT interference motors, and the timing belt breaking or jumping will not bend the valves,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tim,

I loooove just answer it's the best thing that ever happened to weekend mechanics.. thanks for your answer!!