Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

Land Rover..emission light or engine light solid on my dashboard

Customer Question

Hi guys, I have a 2005 LR3 Land Rover. I'm having an emission light or engine light solid on my dashboard. I used the Chevron Techron to clean the fuel but still the light still on. Could you give me an advise before spending too much money withthe dealer?
Hello! I have been waiting for my questions to be answered til' now but it looks likve nobody has an aswerer for a emission light on. I did pay the fees and talked to Dave but no feedback ye?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 3 years ago.

My name is Dale.

I am probably the expert that told you to run the "Techron" through the system. Have you cleared the codes in the computer? I am not sure on that model if you can clear them by disconnecting the battery for 60 seconds or use the switch to clear the codes. I will look and see what I can find out for you. Does it run better since the :Techron" treatment? Is it running acceptable now and we just need to get the light to clear and go off or are there still drive-ability problems? Do you have a ALDL Scanner? Have you checked the coded in the system as it stands? It may just need a new O2 Sensor. That is usually all that is wrong.

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dale,

I don't the code you 're talking about. I will follow your instruction by disconnectin the battery for 60 secondes. I can't elle the difference since runing "the Techron". Also where is the switch to clear the code. Is the code the sign appearing on my dashboard?

The car is running but the light is still on, more explanation about the ALDL, what is it? do u ahve any idea how much cost the O2 censor?

OK Bud,

I can tell by the questions you are asking that you are really not technically skilled enough to be getting very deep into the computer system on your vehicle. (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE) ! The codes are stored in an on board computer and depending on the vehicle they can be checked either with the ignition switch method (This is the old method and may not apply to a 2005 model vehicle) OR the use of a scanner that plugs into the system. The ALDL is the plug that is used to plug the scanner in. It is placed in different places on different models. The light on the dash is just telling you that there is a problem and USUALLY when the light is on there will be some codes in the system that when identified lead the technician to where the problem and/or problems are.

I highly recommend that you find a buddy or someone to help you or take your vehicle to a shop and have them run the diagnostics on the vehicle. The O2 sensor goes in the exhaust and they are not real expensive but some vehicles have as many as 4 or more O2 sensors so there is no use just buying and throwing parts at your vehicle to try and repair it. THE VEHICLE MUST BE DIAGNOSED BY SOMEONE THAT UNDERSTANDS HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS and I cannot teach you all of that here on this forum.

I hope you do not think I am a jerk but I am just being straight up with you and telling you that you do not have enough knowledge about the system to be playing with it. You can mess up a lot of expensive things if you do not have the equipment, knowledge, shop and tools to work on the vehicle.

I hope you understand. Find a good buddy that does know his stuff or take to a good shop with a good reputation and pay them to run a diagnosis on your vehicle.

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dale for your honesty and prompt feedback. I definitly will take my car to the dealer to check on the problem. I previously would do so but wanted to have and idea about what going on. The dealer pretty much always fix my problem but sometimes you know how it works. For a minor problem, they can charge you for two weeks job.

I will keep in touch with you anyway.

Again thank you....

Casimir K.

Dear Casimir,

Thank you for listening with an open mind to what I had to say. Many people would have been very upset with what i told you. But I try to advise what I think is in the "BEST INTEREST OF THE CUSTOMER" even if what I have to say is not pleasing to that persons ego and/or personality. I think you are quite a nice person to respond the way you have and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the Dealership treats you fair. Remember to "ALWAY ASK FOR THE OLD PARTS BACK " This puts the technicians and service manager on notice that you are going to be watching what the charges are on the repair order and that you are expecting to be treated honestly and fairly.

I hope that helps you a little bit.

All the Best,

Sincerely,

Dale