Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Try starting car sub-zero temp, would not turn

Try starting car sub-zero temp, would not turn over then big "whoose" sound
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Are you syaing that the engine does not crank over or it cranks over but does not start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cranks did not start,
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Do you know if you have spark when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did not notice engine light on, think I would have. No spark, after big "whoosh" sound, engine tried to turn over, sounded like engine was "flooded" but I really did not step on gas that much, esp at first.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
It sounds to me like your timing belt could have went south.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem