karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience

Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 How can I reset the maintenance required

How can I reset the maintenance required light on my 2004 Suzuki XL 7?
Category: Car
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 3 years ago.

karrs2fix :

Is it the check engine light / service engine soon. There is no maintence light information for your vehicle.

Customer :

My apologes it is the "service engine soon" light

karrs2fix :

You will need to scan the computer system to pull the failure code information from the computer. It is reset / cleared with the scan tool also. You can try to disconnect the battery for about an hour but that may not work and a scan tool will need to be used.

Customer :

I am kind of stuck as I need to get my car a NY state inspection and the error code that comes up is a small vacuum leak. no one can find it and they now say that they need to remove the gas tank to find it. My $18 inspection turns into a $500 pull the tank and pray. If I can turn off the service engine light with a full tank it passes inspection. Any thoughts?

karrs2fix :

I am not positive about your state inspection laws as we don't have them here , we have loaded emissions testing. But If they scan your computer system and see that it was reset and all of the emission testing has not run / completed they may not pass it either. Small evap leaks are very hard to find and can cost a lot in diagnosis.

Customer :

That is where I am stuck. A small evap leak that goes away when the tank is full. If I could make the light go off before the inspection I wouldnt have to worry about it before next years inspection. Thank you for your help

karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience