nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

2 classic: towing..dash warning..manual found an electronic fault

I have a 2004 dicovery 2 classic auto TD5 done 110000km. On news years eve whilst towing our caravan we had the dash warning display flashing M and S which on reading the manual found an electronic fault in the transmission. We also noticed the auto D display on the dash flashing. We stopped the vehicle within a kilometre and shut down the engine. On an attempt to restart the engine would not fire ,just as though it had been immobilised , the alarm also went off. We called the RACV and the agent said that on testing found the vehicle would blow a fuse each time the ignition was turned on. No other warning lights had been displayed and the temp guage was at half way as usual. Our vehicle was loaded onto a flat top truck and the van connected to the truck and returned 100KM home. What should we do now, auto or electrical prolem? There is no Land rover dealer in our home town.The car still will not start and the M and S lights continue to flash

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

First you need to take care of the electrical problem.......

Billy :

As it seems you have a short circuit causing the ignition fuse to blow....

Billy :

You may check first the engine wiring loom for any dampness or water ingress.....causing the short and blowing the fuse.

Billy :

I have found a TSB (technical service bulletin or known fix) that is very relevant to your case, and would cause the same problem (as most probably the two problems are related)

Billy :

I believe that once you check the related harness, dry it, clean the contact and replace the fuse, the vehicle will operate normally.

Billy :

Happy new year!

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Billy, I thank you for your advice this morning. Did exacctly as you said-cleaned the plug replaced one blown fuse and the car stated immediately. Did it myself in half an hour .

Many thanks -Phil