JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

Prizm: fan belts replaced (they were worn and cracked..first gear

I have a 1995 Geo Prizm with about 90k miles on it. It is a pretty good car, and have had very little problems with it over the past five years.

I recently got the fan belts replaced (they were worn and cracked in places I guess), and since then (although not sure if it's related to this problem) I have had problems every now and then with the clutch not wanting to shift into first gear, sometimes problem shifting to second, rarely third and fourth.

Now when I press the clutch in there is no resistance at all, and it is impossible to shift into any gear. When I try to shift into reverse I hear a loud grating sound. This happens 100% of the time.
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

You have a leak in the hydraulic system for the clutch and you need to replace the hydraulic components.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please tell me more about replacing the hydraulic system for the clutch.

What parts/tools would I need and how much would I expect to pay for the parts? How would I go about getting instructions for doing it? Any diagrams would be appreciated as well.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Parts are about 100.00 and basic hand tools will do.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE and HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
I'm doing a follow up and noticed that you havent replied back or ACCEPT the answer to your question yet. Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. Keep in mind that the experts on this site are compensated for their time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for the procedures, though the diagrams are very blurry and impossible to read some of the numbers and words.

I ordered a master and slave cylinder replacement. Are there any other parts that I should look into replacing? Are there any additional things I should know about the hydraulic clutch system?

Thanks!

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
You have the very info we use here at the shop. You can zoom in on the info sent to make it clearer.
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner