Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

The lock on the drivers door wont allow the key..towing..lift

Customer Question

Hi, I have a big problem with my land rover; the lock on the driver's door won't allow the key to enter the slot, and the lock on back fits the key, but when it's turned the lock doesn't respond or do anything. I've been fine using the remote since this problem developed, but now it seems the battery must have died, because that's not working now either... and the towing company wasn't able to get into the car using their tools either; even though they could get the lock to lift, the door still wouldn't open. Does anyone else know the solution to this problem? How can I get the door open so I can charge the car and get the power locks working again?!?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Is the vehicles battery dead ? You can not get in another door?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the car battery is dead, and the locksmith could not pop the hood of the car so that it could be charged
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried hooking jumper cables from under the vehicle . Get the positive terminal and chassis ground should give enough power to open the door.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will I be able to identify these from underneath? I don't want to end up hooking the jumper cables up to the wrong thing and destroying the car :/ If you could give any advice as to what I should look for, I'd love to try this out.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
See if you can see the battery terminals from under the truck or the cable to the alternator let me know.