Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2002 ford expedition: cars to start..engine turns and turns

Customer Question

my wife has a 2002 ford expedition with 158,000 miles and i have a chrysler 300M 2004 with 64,000 miles. the last 3-4 months we have occasional problems getting both cars to start. the engine turns and turns when we are trying to start, but it doesn't catch on. during this time trying to figure out what is wrong we got new batteries on both cars as the service people we took the cars too didn't know what else to suggest, but that as the probelm hasn't occured while it's been brought for servicing. the problem continues to occur though occasionally. it happens maybe once every 10 days or so and then doesn't happen again for 10 days plus or minus. and when it happens it eventually does start after 5-10 minutes of continuously trying, and again then it doesn't happen again for many days. we have changed where we get gas a few times, we have added fuel injector cleaner several times, any other ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help out with this issue. As I am sure you are aware this is very unusual so I am not going to have a definitive answer but will do my best to help out. First I would get the codes checked, even if the check engine light is not on there could be codes stored in the computer. Most parts stores will do this for free. Have them check the codes and write them down exactly. I say do this first and we will start from there.

By the way have cars had tune ups? What kind of conditions raw they used in and how far and often are they driven?
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, i went to autozone and asked them to check the codes from the computer, they said they could not get any, especially since our engine lights have not been on durin gany of these recent issues

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

There can be codes stored even if the light has not come on so i wanted to make sure there was no valuable info there.

What about tune ups and oil changes? is everything up to date?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oil changes are up to date, i am not sure on the tune ups when were last ones, but i will check and get back to you. if it's been a while and we need to give it a tune up, what do they typically cost? is it best to take to dealership or independent servicers?

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I would go to a good independent shop. maybe ask around for a word of mouth reference if don't already have someone in mind. the tune ups should run $100 to $200 each depending on shop rates.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, will do, if that doesn't begin to solve the problem i might come back to you if you don't mind, thanks
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely, I would like to see this through until it is resolved.