FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Saturn: 113k miles - gear shift will not engage, but still can move

Have a 2001 SC1 Saturn with 113K miles - gear shift will not engage, but still can move forward in first. Does this mean I'll have to install a completely new or rebuilt transmission or is there a possibility of some sort of repair? If new or rebuilt transmission, about how much are we talking and is it worth putting that kind of money into a 2001 car?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 years ago.

BOBBY :

Hello JACUSTOMER, what happens when the vehicle starts moving in first? What happens in reverse or when going into second?

Customer:

I can move forward in first - gear shift will not engage into any other gear.

Customer:

The gear shift will not go into first either.

Customer:

Hello, anyone there?

BOBBY :

Will the shifter move?

Customer:

Yes, all over the place

Customer:

Hi, glad you're back. Sorry I'm so slow in responding.

BOBBY :

Ok. You may have a broken transmission shift cable. You need to check for movement at the cable on the transmission. If it is moving then the transmission is the problem. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer:

This gal can drive them, but can't fix them. I appreciate your input re the cable. Sounds like you're telling me that they can replace the cable, but if the cable isn't broken then I'll need a transmission. Any other tips, so I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about? Don't mean to sound negative, but I've had problems with folks in the car repair business trying to "fix" things that aren't broken.

BOBBY :

That is definitely the problem with the auto repair business so I can understand your concern. Other then this I would also check the vehicles transmission fluid. If the fluid is low this will happen. If the fluid is dark or burnt then this will indicate a bad transmission.