Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

Renault megane privilege I have a 2007 renault megane privilege

I have a 2007 renault megane privilege automatic. Every now and then, usually when going up a slight incline, there is aloud clunk and the message 'check gearbox' appears. The car seems to drive ok but normally I pull over and switch off the engine. The mesage then goes and no further problems are experienced. Any idea what the problem is and how can it be rectified?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the fill plug on the side if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the connections to the solenoids on the top or side of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...

So do that and go from there. If you do still have troubles after that - then the next best move is to let a local Auto Transmission Specialist have a look at it -- they can often repair the unit considerably cheaper than replacement..

Use yell.com to locate such a place if needed...

One other thing to check is that your car has the latest calibration / map loaded into it as this often can cure issues like this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your answer - is there any way of getting out of the problem i.e. clearing the message, without having to stop the car and shut the engine off. It's not a major problem when driving in traffic but is a real pain when on the motorway. It should be noted that this doesn't happen all the time but about once a week.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

The problem is most likely a poor connection which is why its going away on the hot restart as this sort of thing tend to be very intermittent - unfortunately the gearbox control must think its pretty serious to stop the car / prevent the gearbox from working

I'd suggest cleaning the solenoid and sensor connections as I've suggested - if this doesn't help then have the car plugged into a diagnostic device as this should highlight what sensor / connection is giving the issue
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.