Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally

2000 chevrolet: 2500 with 5.7 litre engine i pulled a code of p

i have a 2000 chevrolet c 2500 with 5.7 litre engine i pulled a code of P 1345can you tell me what this code is
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.

Jim :

Has any work been done on the vechile

Customer:

replaced intake gasket about a month ago

Jim :

Has the problem been there very since or did it just start doing this?

Customer:

truck has seemed to take to long to crank for a while but has always cranked.truck started fine on wednesday morning then set for two days and when i went back to start it wouldn't start to me almost seemed like timing was off but then checked and had no fire

Jim :

This code is a common problem when the distributor has been removed. They get installed in correctly or mis adjusted when re installed. If there is no spark the following test would need to be done.

Jim :

Using a labscope, check for an erratic output from the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) sensor located inside the distributor. Remove the distributor cap, inspect the sensor for a tight fit.

Set the engine at Top Dead Center (TDC) compression on the #1 cylinder. Verify that the rotor points directly at the number "8" stamped in the top lip of the distributor housing.

If it is misaligned, check for loose distributor parts or worn distributor/cam gears.

4. If all OK, readjust the distributor to bring the CMP retard reading on the scanner to 0 degrees

Customer:

if the distributor was not aligned wouldn't i have had this problem before now.since it has been a month since the intake gasket repair was done.i have driven this truck everyday since the repair

Jim :

There could be something loose that has moved over time, or the camshaft sensor could have just failed.

Customer:

is there a way to test the camshaft sensor

Jim :

Yes, Using a labscope, check for an erratic output from the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) sensor located inside the distributor. Remove the distributor cap, inspect the sensor for a tight fit.

Customer:

thanks this info will be very helpful

Jim :

Check and make sure the distributor didn't loosen up on you.

Customer:

i already did that it seems to be tight

Jim :

ok

Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally