Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.

2003 h2 6 liter V-8 gasoline, automatic trans sudan..spare parts..blow

Customer Question

I have a 2003 H2 6 liter V-8 gasoline, automatic trans Sudan. I would like to have as spare parts the parts I would need if an EMP were to blow in the atmosphere. Can you tell me all the parts & part #'s that would get fried. Listed in order of groups such as this group of parts would make the car drivable like-computer, starting, fuel injection and auto-shifting, dashboard info. Perhaps another group would include the part and part #'s for less important items such radio AM & FM (may not work for awhile) and Lights, and windows-secondary parts etc etc. Thank you very much.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 3 years ago.

Dj :

This is the most interesting question that I've had in a long time.

Dj :

Anything that is turned on at the time of the blast mighe be fried. It depends on how close you are to the blast, and if the device has been designed for enhanced EMP.

Dj :

I think it would be cheaper and easier to try to protect your vehicle from EMP, rather than keep enough spare parts to fix it. Attempting to diagnose what is fried and what is not would be nearly impossible with ten or fifteen components that don't work. Everything is tied together, so a bad body control module could keep the engine from running, but how do you diagnose it?

Dj :

To protect the vehicle, I would hook braided ground straps from the doors to the body, from the hood to the body, rear latch to the body. Every panel would have a separate ground path to the body.

Dj :

Then I would wrap all of the harnesses with 14 gauge wire. With each end of the wire grounded. The wraps should be about 1/2 inch or less apart.

Dj :

Then I would put metallic reflective window tint on all the windows and the sunroof.

Dj :

So now you are driving the only vehicle that runs in Sudan. What's going to keep every nut with an AK47 from shooting your ass and taking your truck?

Dj :

Oh, one more thing. One of those ground straps that hangs to the ground. I think they use a high carbon rubber compound.

Customer :

Dj :

Hello.

Customer :

I do not live in Sudan. My H2 is a Sudan not the HUT. I was thinking I could buy the spare parts from some junk yards at a relatively lower cost. I would rather have the list of parts and part numbers as extra parts. I may follow your suggestions as well, but they may not work and some parts may still fry and I would rather have the back up as well and keep them in a Faraday Box which would protect them.

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX John

Dj :

You could buy a wrecked H2 and park it in a metal storage container.

Dj :

Personally, I would buy an old VW. Pre smog. Get an extra coil, points and condenser. They always run, they are easy to get parts for, traction is great, fuel economy is great and they're fun to drive.

Dj :

I expect that if you bought used parts, you would spend about two grand. But the problem is that the car won't run when you put the new parts in because you have to program the computer for the VIN. This takes the $4,000 GM Tech II tool to do this.

Dj :

Are you in the US?

Customer :

I would rather have a list of the fryable parts for my H2 and just have the parts in a couple of Faraday Boxes to protect them as is much cheaper than buying and storing a wreck and buying a metal container.

Customer :

I am in Costa Rica for now, but may bring the Hummer back to the US, just not sure when.

Dj :

I would get the Body Control Module, the Engine Control Module, and the Transmission Control Module.

Dj :

I don't know if there is enough wire in the coil packs to create enough current to nuke themselves, so those would be good to have.

Dj :

I think alternator and the starter are shielded enough to be protected.

Dj :

Just a side note, a friend of mine was working for a defense contractor twenty years ago and developed an EMP gun. It was about the size of a TOW anti tank weapon and kind of looked like one.

Customer :

Ok, are there part numbers for these items? Is the coil pack a separate item? Would this cover everything??

Customer :

Also what about the fuse box items. Would all the fuses be fried....?

Dj :

I can't provide the part numbers. You need the vehicle ID number and a good guy on the GM parts computer to get that.

Dj :

Coil packs are separate. I don't know if it would cover everything. For example, there is a coil of wire to detect the key, would that fry? Don't know. It's small so I doubt it, but I just don't know.

Dj :

Fuses are kind of a slow blow thing. They have to heat up before they would melt, so maybe not. But they're cheap so it wouldn't hurt to have a set.

Dj :

How much ammo do you have? I've got three thousand rounds.

Customer :

3.000 rounds of what size? I have a couple of 9 MM and a case of shells and an Ar 15 and a case of shells, BUT i cannot bring them to Costa Rica. I only have a 38 and 12 gauge and was fortunate to get that before CR put a ban on all firearms unless you are a resident which I am working on......

Dj :

3,000 for the 45. I've got three of them. 300 for the .357. 1,000 for the 22.

Customer :

So do you still think if I had these Body, Engine and Transmission Control Modules that they would not even work without a GM computer to synchronize them to my car????

Dj :

I've taken two survival classes. The last one was from a military trainer that trained combat pilots. SEER.

Customer :

Well, you seem to know what is going on and might happen. Where abouts do you live?

Dj :

They won't work. They come blank if you buy them new, and with a vin already programmed in if you get them used. The only way to reprogram them is with the GM Tech II. The problem is that everything is tied to everything else. For example, the speed sensor signal from the transmission is used for the engine control, transmission control, brakes, security system, probably a couple more that I can't think of right now.

Dj :

I had a car that when you were going down the highway and changed the radio stations, the truck would pop open. It turns out it was the headlight control module.

Dj :

I live in Portland Oregon. And I'm not paranoid, I'm just cautious.

Customer :

Prepare for the worst and if it does not happen, then we are still OK. But if the worst happened then we would be somewhat ahead and could really make a difference in life or death. My email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I will pay you for what you have taught me and it was very good. Thank you very much DJ. Feel free to write to my email if you would like to.

Dj :

Here is a good book that you can download. It was written by the Office of Technology Assessment. This is a branch that provides unbiased research for Congress, so they can make intelligent decisions. Obviously they don't read much.

Dj :

The system won't let email addresses and phone numbers pass through.

Dj :

But you can keep this question open for as long as you like.

Customer :

Ok, too bad. So I would "accept" and then do what.....

Dj :

Just keep the question open.

Customer :

Ok, thank you very, very much.

Dj :

You are very welcome.

Dj :

Another good book is by Mel Tappen.

Dj :

Go to:

Dj :

This is a robot I built a couple of years ago. Leave a comment.