Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.

1990 suzuki sidekick: 1.6 engine the check engine light..manual says

Customer Question

I have a 1990 suzuki sidekick a4x4 5-speed 1.6 engine the check engine light just came on and the manual says it is a emmission problem how do I find out what it is and how to fix it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Trouble codes may be accessed by installing a spare fuse into the diagnostic switch terminals and turning the ignition switch to the On position. Codes will continue to flash as long as the ignition switch is On, and the spare fuse is installed in the diagnostic connector.
graphic

graphic

graphic

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that with the fuse and the check ingene light did not blink at all it just stayed on, now what
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you going to answer back or what , ? do I have to do smothing els I need a response from som one on this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Can answer the follow up question
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

As shown in the chart above, when the diagnostic fuse is inserted, and the Ceheck Engine Light remains "ON" this is a sign of ECM failure. (See diagnostic code chart provided above - it's the 3rd image given above. Click "view fuill image" to get a close up view and you will notice towards the bottom "ON" is ECM failure)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is ECM failure mean ??
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

The Engine Control Module, it's like the vehicle's "brain". It's the main computer that runs all the engine controls. It's in the 2nd image provided above. Right above the fuse block.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is that a part that I can replace ?? if so would auto zone or ORyallys have it ?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Oh boy... good question. Due to the age of the vehicle, it may be tough to find! If you can find it, yes, an aftermaket parts store MAY have it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will it hurt it to drive it till I find one or should I just park it till I find one? Suzuki dealership just put a new moter in it because they forgot to put oil in the moter when I had oil change and it bleww the motor up so their insurance paid for new motor.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
As long as you are not experiencing any drivability issues (skipping, surging, stalling, etc) it should be perfectly fine to drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to reset the check light by taking off the negitive cable for three minutes and it didnt reset, is that what I do after i replace the ecm to reset it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Removing the "NEG" cable should clear the codes. However, in this case, if the ECM is at fault, the problem will be noticed immediately, and the light will return as soon as the fault is noticed.

Now that I think about it- if the Dealer replaced the engine, there very well may be some sort of "compatability" issue between the new engine and the old ECM. Before going crazy trying to find one and paying for it, you may want to ask the Dealer if they can "re-program" the old ECM to accomodate the new(er) engine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K thanks alot Im going to call them now. Been very helpfull!!!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Glad I could help. Have a great day!