Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

Hood latch..pull..anyone give..I might open this hood Ron

have a 2003 discovery, hood latch is broken a small piece of cable is visable from the from grill area trying to pull with plyer will not open can anyone give me some advice how I might open this hood Ron
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 3 years ago.

Dale Stockstill :

I use a set of "Needle Nose Vice Grips" to get a good hold on the cable. Dale

Dale Stockstill :

Can you pull the grille out from the front to get better acess?

Customer :

tried to pull with the needle nose grips just streched the cable did not want to break what little cable is there

Dale Stockstill :

Can you get to the RETURN SPRING for the latch itself. If you can cut or disconnect that, then you can wedge 2 or 3 long screw drivers up in there to open the gate and let the hooh come up to the safety latch. I done that before.

Dale Stockstill :

Can you get the grillout or at least bent over so you can get better access?

Dale Stockstill :

Last Resort: If you raised the vehicle up a bit and then put it on jack stands, take the front wheels and tires off, is there room to go up to the bolts that hold one side ot the other hood hinges?

Customer :

I am going to try I don't want to snap the grill, the mechanism has a plastic cover which I can't move or even snap off

Dale Stockstill :

You might have to pull the inner fender wells to access the hinges.

Dale Stockstill :

There really is no easy way unless the cable is broke indise the vehicle. If it is borke on the inside you can remove the lever assembly and peel back the end of the cable housing to be able to pull the cable and relase the latch

Customer :

do you think a body shop would be able to help

Dale Stockstill :

Well, yes but they will be doing the same things I am telling you but charging you an arm and a leg to do it because they know you are stuck and they have you by the ........s. That is up to you whether you want to start pulling sheet metal orpay them to do it.

Dale Stockstill :

If you cannot access the cable from the inside, pulling the inner fender wells is the first step. Of course you have to have a fairly good supply of tools to really do this project and it can take a day or two to get in or you can get lucky and get in in a few minutes. Sorry, I wish I had better news for you, Sincerely, Dale

Dale Stockstill :

A Locksmith will refer you to a bodyshop

Dale Stockstill :

Hello

Dale Stockstill :

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Experience: 40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

If there is something else I can do for you, just let me know, otherwise I would appreciate it if you would accept the answer so I get paid for my time and knowledge.

Sincerely,

Dale