Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

98 amigo: a problem with the cam position sensor .its..2wheel..5speed

Customer Question

i heard there is a problem with the cam position sensor .it's throwing the code for this now. it's 98 amigo 2.2 2wheel drive 5speed
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

Located inside front timing belt cover assembly.

Customer:

is there a way to test the sensor.i've read a few blogs that 1person had top replace the sensor 4times it'a 100.00 for a new sensor for this vechicle,could there be acomputer problem

Steve :

what is the code you are getting ?

Customer:

po342

Steve :

give me a minute

Steve :

here is a pinpoint test

Steve :

Circuit Description
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor signal is produced by the CMP sensor pulses when the engine is running and crankshaft position (CKP) sync pulses are also being received. The PCM uses the CMP signal pulses to initiate sequential fuel injection. The PCM constantly monitors the number of pulses on the CMP signal circuit and compares the number of CMP pulses to the number of 58X reference pulses received. if the PCM does not receive pulses on the CMP reference circuit, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 will set and the PCM will initiate injector sequence without the CMP signal with a one in four chance that injector sequence is correct. The engine will continue to start and run normally, although the misfire diagnostic will be affected if a misfiring condition occurs. Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 is a type B code.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The engine is running.

• The CMP sensor signal is not received by the PCM once every 4 cylinders.

• The above condition occurs for 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after the second consecutive trip in which the fault is detected.

• The PCM will initiate injector sequence without the CMP signal with a one in four chance that injector sequence is correct.

• The PCM will store conditions which were present when the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was set as Freeze Frame and in the Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The PCM will turn the MIL OFF on the third consecutive trip cycle during which the diagnostic has been run and the fault condition is no longer present.

• A history Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a fault.

• Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0342 can be cleared by using the Scan Tool's "Clear Info" function.

• If a CKP Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is also indicated, there may be a problem with the ground circuit because the CMP ground is spliced to the CKP ground wire.

• If a fuel injector Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is also indicated, there may be a problem with the power supply to the CMP. The wire supplying CMP power is spliced to the wire supplying power to the fuel injectors.

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed-through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check for the following:

• Poor connection - Inspect the PCM harness and connectors for improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal-to- wire connection.

• Damaged harness - Inspect the wiring harness for damage; shorts to Ground, shorts to Battery Positive, and Open Circuits. If the harness appears to be OK, disconnect the PCM, turn the ignition ON and observe a voltmeter connected to the CMP signal circuit at the PCM harness connector while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the CMP sensor. A change in voltage will indicate the location of the fault.

Test Description
Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Chart.

1. Ensures that the fault is present.

Steve :

this is all the info you need to diag

Steve :

It is normally a bad sensor

Steve :

9 out of 10 times

Customer:

it runs fine no miss or hesitation

Steve :

It will run ok the computer will ignore the sensor when it is bad

Steve :

the only way you know you have a problem is the check engine light

Customer:

also its throwing one more code po502for the speed sensor. but i was driving home and heard something grind in the transmission and the speedometer quite working.the transmission shifts fine .could this be a broken cable or the speedo gearing in the transmission .what would the speed sensor affect not working

Steve :

speed sensor would affect the trans shifts

Steve :

More than likely a gear problem or bad sensor

Steve :

would need to remove it and check it out

Steve :

any other questions?

Customer:

you mean like bogging at take offs

Steve :

shift hard and not make shifts

Steve :

could cause a bog on take off also the cam sensor could do that as well

Customer:

not really to much problem shifting it a manual 5-speed

Steve :

The cam sensor tells the computer were cyl #1 is to fire the injectors

Steve :

then you will not feel a problem from the bad sensor

Steve :

could cause some drive issues

Steve :

need to repair both codes and see how it drives if it is bogging down

Customer:

thank you

Steve :

your welcome

Steve :

please hit the green accept button so I may get credit thanks

Steve :

thanks for the accept

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician