Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

2004 Honda Pilot: 000 miles..grinding noise and shimmies..45 mph

Customer Question

My 2004 Honda Pilot (150,000 miles)sometimes makes a grinding noise and shimmies a little between 30 and 45 mph. Of course it doesn't happen for the dealer during regular maintenance. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

If this semis in crimes while stepping on the brakes then you have faulty brake rotors if the steering wheel is shaking they will be faulty front brake rotors, if this grinds and shakes are in sharp turns that would be caused by a fault in the rear differential the fluid will need to be changed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks but the growling and sometime shimmying only occurs when going straight and slowly accelerating up through 30 - 45 mph. It never happens when braking nor turning and stops when I let up on the accelerator. It doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is warm or not. It can happen when I first start driving or even after 2 or 3 hours of driving on a trip.

Okay good if this is only on acceleration then most commonly this is a sign of faulty axle joints specifically the inner axle joints

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I had the Pilot at the dealership on Saturday morning. I gave them your email and asked them to check everything you suggested. They said that they went over the entire suspension to include the inner axle joints and they said everying is nice and tight and couldn't find the source of the sometime noise and vibration. Any other ideas?