vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Experience:  25 years GM factory trained ATA UK registered
10908802

wont start..replaced coil,plugs,still wont fire,no spark..wiring

my 1997 corsa wont start.i have replaced coil,plugs,still wont fire,no spark. possible break in wiring? where do i start?
Category: Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer , Does the engine have a regular distributor or a coil pack where the distributor would normally go on the end of the cam shaft ?

Let me know and i will help more , best regards XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
engine has a coil pack.have fitted a new one,also replaced plugs.
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that , A very common cause of a lack of ignition spark on this engine is either a faulty crankshaft speed sensor or a bad connection to it at the top of the sensor where it plugs into the harness , sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting cleans the terminals and it will then start , it is routed along the back of the timing cover and is just underneath the air pipe to the left of the throttle body.

If this does not work then have the ECU checked for fault codes but the ignition system on this is quite simple the crank sensor sends an impulse to the ECU which then sends a trigger to the DIS and sparks.

I hope this helps , best regards XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry to sound thick,but could please explain where exactly to find crankshaft sensor,following wiring from battery.is timing cover where cambelt is?
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Yes timing belt cover/cambelt cover are the same , sensor lead is clipped to the back of it close to the alternator.