Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Saab: Hey..5, year 2000 and my engine head gasket..quoted..wouldnt

Hey there, my car is a saab 9-5, year 2000 and my engine head gasket has just recently blowen.I have been to a mechanic to get it fixed and was quoted $3,500.00 for the engine head gasket to get replaced.I was just wondering if it would be better for myself to buy the engine head gasket, and just get them to put it in.Or what would you suggest i do,where i wouldnt have to spend so much money.

Kind regards
Drake
Hello Drake

I'm presuming the car is a 4 cylinder not the V6 but even if it was the V6 the cost is very high for this level of work as parts will be around $400 and its around 1.5 days labour to remove and replace a headgasket - even if machining work is required to skim the head flat ( they sometimes warp with a gasket failure) then this will add to the amount of time required to have the car off the road but not to the labour charge

definitly cost up the parts yourself and shop around for a few quotes