nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

It secondhand, 35,000kms..unleaded..check engine light

Customer Question

I have a Proton Jumbuck. Just bought it secondhand, 35,000kms. I filled it with normal unleaded instead of premium, now the check engine light has come on & won't go away. Is this just because I put the cheap fuel in ?
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

As long as you have unleaded fuel....the check engine light should not light up....

Billy :

However, you may remove the battery cable for a couple of minutes, and then put it back, and the engine light would go off (the engine control unit, would forget the error code).

Billy :

PS: you will need the radio code after re connecting battery cable if radio is fitted with anti theft.

Billy :

If the check engine light goes back on, then you have an error stored in the control module, and you need to plug a scan tool to retrieve the code, and the code itself should pinpoint the problem (faulty component).

Billy :

And if you are worried about the fuel quality you put, you may add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in tank.

Billy :

Happy new year!

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Billy :

PS: always have engine off, while the tank cap is opened or when fuel is being put in vehicle.