Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2005 freelander td4 (2.0L turbo diesel)...something of a toy 4WD

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Freelander TD4 (2.0L turbo diesel). I bought it new in Australia.

Recognising that it is something of a 'toy' 4WD, I had hoped I could at least do a bit of beach driving (i.e. not dunes, but relatively firm sand including entry to the beach over soft entry tracks).

However... I have been sadly disappointed. My Landy is fine on hard sand (i.e. freeway style driving). But getting on or off the beach via some soft sand has proven all to much for the Freelander. Even without bottoming out on the sand, once you begin to loose momentum it seems to just shut down. Trying to move from there involves just about burning out the clutch (literally) to get out. Even then, 9 times out of 10 you'll need to get towed out.

Most depressing of all is the fact that even toy Korean 4WD's will be successfully negotiating the beach entry while your mighty Land Rover is sitting there bogged. Very, very sad.

I don't claim to be the world's most skilled 4WD driver. I could be doing something very wrong. However, I wanted to check in with others to see if there's any advice on what I can do with the vehicle to get better performance, or whether it's a hopeless case.

Thanks & Regards,

Mark (Australia)
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Neal :

Pretty much anybody goes off road with those finds they need to use sand tires and anybody who uses them off road seriously fits aftermarket springs, shocks, bushes etc. you may have already found out that the clutch won't take much abuse either. So it's not just you it just has it's limitations.