Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

of the doors..lights work..you manually slide their individual switch

I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery and the interior light don't work when you open any of the doors. All of the interior lights work perfectly if you manually slide their individual switch to on.
Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Neal :

Try the dimmer on the dash it may be turned off there, and some years had a seperate little button to turn them off. But i can't remember what years.

Neal : I'm taking a minute to wish everyone I am working with tonight a happy and prosperous new year!!! Be safe tonight if you are going out!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow, I didn't expect anyone to respond that quickly. I've checked the rheosta, it functons perfectly (its a small wheel that turns left to right) It dims the dash/instrument lights just fine.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
So all is good now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, I meant that I checked it before as a possible reason to why the interior lights don't work. They still don't work
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Some years have a small inconspicuous button that turns off the interior light that is often overlooked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any idea of what years and where its located?
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Try this-----press the center button (of the interior lights console) for about 5 secs until a display comes up on the dash that says, "interior lights on".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll do that now, be back with the results in a couple minuets.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I be waiting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
II went out and looked for "the interior lights console" 'm not sure of what you're calling "the nterior lights console" ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
after looking at the dash, I'm not sure what "the interior lights console" is ?????
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Still working on it sorry for the confusion.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Ok I went through the manual and yours does not have that function. I was sure it did. That means that it must be the door sensor which o yours is part of the door lock mechanism.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's what I was thinking too. I sure do miss the old plunger type door switches.
Any idea on how to test the door lock switch? Is it controlled by the BCU?
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Here is what I have on that, as you can see it is best to let the dealer hook it up to the computer.

To shed some light on this, here's what the LR workshop manual has to say:

"The input from the door latch switches to the BCU is either zero volts or an open circuit. Zero volts indicates the door is open. An open circuit indicates that the door is closed. When the BCU sees an open circuit, it pulls the input high internally."

"The driver's door latch switch has a dedicated signal input to the BCU. This allows the BCU to identify the driver's door position. The BCU use a common signal input for the remaining door latch switches."

"TestBook provides the ability to monitor the real time state of the door latch switches. Remember that the driver's door is always in a known state. The remaining doors are combined into a single state. The BCU cannot distinguish the state of the individual doors, other than the driver's door."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The reason I'm trying to resolve this here is because the nearest dealer is about 100 miles away. I have electrical test equipment. I'll take a look ate the door switch/BCU tomorrow.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Good luck, sorry I couldn't give you the quick fix.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.