DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

Squealing..front brake pads..2 Atlanta LR dealerships..models

Customer Question

Is there a remedy for squealing brakes on a 2008 Range Rover Sport? I have 5mm on the front brake pads and 4mm on the rear pads. I've been told by 2 Atlanta LR dealerships that this is typical in these models and there is no remedy. I can apply new pads; however, the problem might occur again. I was told that lubricants only last 3 - 4 weeks.

Any advice is appreciated...
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.

Tim West :

Thanks for visiting Just Answer, if you are getting squeaky brakes and do not yet want to replace them, there are a few things you can try, but it's never a guarantee with brakes. And this is on any vehicle. What happens is brake dust and mud gets basically melted into pad/ rotor and can cause noise. Heat, friction and wearing can cause the friction surface to change. Brakes always make a noise when applied, it just matters if we hear it. Usually the noise is so high pitched we can't hear it.

Tim West :

If you want to try, use #120 to #150 grit 3M sand paper and take a thin layer off the brake pad.

Tim West :

Use the same method on the disc.

Tim West :

Be sure to wash the disc with soap and water, avoid brake cleen or any brake noise

Tim West :

stopper, I have found this is only temporary.

Tim West :

Replacing the brakes is a good idea as well, make sure to use a good quality part and have the rotors resurfaced or sanded down so the friction area is clean.

Customer :

Ok, but I was looking for more of a specific response to the RRS model. I'm not qualified to fix the problem; however, I want to make sure that I have explored all options and that the answers I'm getting locally are appropriate. Is there anyone on this site with RRS expertise?

Customer :

Thanks for your comments, anyway.

Tim West :

Sorry I will opt out so another expert can help

Expert:  DBranch replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Land Rovers do tend to have squealling brakes due to the composition of the pads. What you can do is get in an open parking lot and put the car in reverse and get up a little speed and slam on brakes. Do this about 5 times. I do this a lot when customers dont want to replace the pads and want to get rid of the squeal. Also Land Rover does have updated rear pads that do eleminate the squeal. The bes things would be to replace the front and rear pads and rotors with the factory parts. Which will be expensive as you know. So try what I mentioned and it is about the best thing I know to do to get the brakes to stop squealing. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Daniel

DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.