CTCARTECH
CTCARTECH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Factory Trained, Kia Factory Trained, ASE Certified
9926638

Can a clogged catalytic converter keep a car from running

Customer Question

Can a clogged catalytic converter keep a car from running?
Category: Car
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Yes, A clogged catalytic converter can keep the vehicle from running as it would be blocking the gases coming out of the motor and would me choking the motor in a way causing it not too run.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The seller is saying it will run with your foot on the gas, But it will shutoff after you take your foot off the gas. Could that be the issue? What else could it be?
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 3 years ago.
It is very possible that is the issue. Other issues can be low fuel pressure or a stuck idle are control valve not allowing air to bypass the throttle body on startup.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If i disconnected the converter would that allow the car to run?
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 3 years ago.
Yes if you disconnect the converter and teh car runs you have pinpointed the problem too the clogged converter and it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How hard is it to remove the front catalytic converter off the engine on a mazda millenia 2002. I know there are two on the car.
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, What size motor does your Mazda have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2.5L V6
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 3 years ago.
Ok, The converter is part of the manifold on this car. I would recommend removing the manifold and simply looking at the converter inside to see if it is broken apart. You can try and run the car but since you are taking the manifold off you have too be extremely careful that you do not catch anything on fire as the exhaust from the cylinder is going to be right at the head.