nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

renault: TDI..dashboard..Injection System faulty..driven..gearbox

I have a problem with a Renault Espace 2.2 TDI (2003 model). Sometimes, mostly after a cold start or when driving up a a hill, the dashboard display symbol for 'Electronic Fault / Water in Deisel Filter comes on and displays the message 'Fuel Injection System Faulty'.
The car sometimes loses power on hills (upward) but as soon as we reach flat / level ground resumes full power and the warning message disappears.
On other occassions (especially when the car has been driven for a few hours) the Espace climbs hills - even steep ones at full power with no warning message .
After a cold start the car sometimes cannot find power in reverse gear.
After a cold start the Espace has a 5 second delay pilling off from a standing start and displays the fault message.
In all cases, except reverse we can overide the fault by selecting the manual gearbox and dropping down to a lower gear. Please advise.
Category: Car
Expert:  al-mod replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator on the Just Answer website and will try to help you get an answer as you have been waiting for awhile. I do not answer questions, rather I work with Customers and Experts to try to help questions get answered. The response rate on Just Answer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions may go un-answered.

I have re-listed the question and alerted Experts that you are needing a response. Should you not receive an answer and you made a deposit, the deposit is fully refundable by visiting the Just Answer Help Pages using the link at the bottom of the question page or by replying back on this thread.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am a registered customer paying a monthly subscription and reaaly would appreciate an answer on this and will reward accordingly.

Keith

Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.
Hello Keith,

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Have you tried replacing the fuel filter?

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Billy

This would appear to be a long standing Renault problem. It is my daughter's Espace and she hasn't changed the Fuel Filter because she says it doesn't happen on the flat, only on inclines, up or down. Is that relevant?

Keith

Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.
Hello Keith,

The fuel filter would be the first thing to check/replace.
It is relevant....as the problem seems to emerge from there....

The sensor and related wiring (the one on the filter), are to be checked as well. However, the first step, would be to replace the filter itself.

Happy New Year!

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Billy

I concur what you say and will encourage my daughter to change or have the filter changed it seems easy to get to and should be the lowest cost of potential solutions. Will call back when the action is done.

Thanks

Keith

Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

Exactly!
The most probable solution...and the cheapest fix at the same time....
That is where you start....
Get back to me with your findings, and for any follow up....

Happy new year!!!

Regards,
Billy
nabilc,
Experience: Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Billy

I will have to close the question now as my daughter lives about 200 miles away. She was home for Christmas. I obviously have no control of when she will have the filter changed. I would think it would be a good idea to change the Air filter at the same time?. I must thank you for your help. I will send some feedback when the filter is changed.

Regards

Keith

Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

The air filter should be replaced (although it is not related to this problem). And it would be very cheap as well......

Regards,
Billy