Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Dodge: with a 8 cyl..engine overheated due to a radiator leak

Several weeks ago My Dodge Pickup with a 8 cyl. engine overheated due to a radiator leak that I was not aware of. This is a 2001 Dodge with 108000k miles. I drove the truck until it really started stalling on a hill. I pulled off the road and called a tow. A Mechanic said I had a blown head gasket. The retail cost to repair is about $1600. The value of the truck is about 3-4K. What am i to do? Is there some quick fix addative that I could use. Also the oil gauge will register for a few moments stay stead for severl minute at a normal pressure then as I minueaver in traffic or make a sharp turn it will cycle off to zero pressure. What is happening here with this guage?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX definetely have a bad head gasket, there is no additive that will fix this permanatly, you will have to replace the headgaskets, but what has me alarmed is the oil pressure, if its dropping off when warm, then the bearings in the motor are worn, and causing the oil pressure loss, this is caused byh the bad headgasket, coolant will get into the oil and cause the bearings to wear prematurely, replacing the headgasket will not fix the bearings, the engine will need to be rebuilt, dont do the headgasket until you have the bearings checked, it would be a waste of money,Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tim

The retail price for a used truck like this is about 3-4000 dollars. It will cost me at least half that to fix this issue as I'm not a mecanic!! I'm looking to drive it for several months if possible around town. Then trade for a better truck. In the meantime what can I do to keep it running and keep the oil pressure beyond 0? Any suggestions? The body is in great shape and if someone wanted a good body and had an engine it might work for them. But not for me.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
there is a product called BG cooling system sealer, this can temporarily seal the gasket, but its not gauranteed, but it is the best on the market that we have found, as for the oil pressure, there is no additive that will bring up the pressure, but BG does make a product called MOA that will protect the bearings, and it may last awhile,Tim