Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions
This would indicate the starter is drawing too many amps from the battery, which will cause the wires to get hot and even melt. Replace the starter and hopefully the battery made it through this ok. You might have to replace the battery though, as this really puts a strain on it but start by replacing the starter. If you have further questions feel free to reply.
Please remember to click on accept so i receive credit. Even if you have a subscription. You will not be charged again.You can always ask follow up questions even after you accept.